Recognizing that Student Organizations play an important role in the campus community and in the education of UW-Madison students, ASM has established the Travel Grant Fund. Traveling to conferences, trainings, competitions and other off-campus events helps to train student leaders and enriches the resources available to Student Organizations. The ASM Travel Grant Fund allows RSOs to travel to places and events that serve to further the mission of the RSO.
Attending the trip should benefit the campus beyond the immediate traveler(s) by bringing back some variety of information or service to the UW-Madison campus.
Travel Grant Eligibility Criteria
- Only UW- Madison Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) in good standing with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) may apply for the travel grant. Individuals seeking personal or professional travel support are ineligible to receive the ASM travel grant.
- RSOs can only apply for one travel grant per academic year.
- Travel grant funds can only support members of the RSO who are listed on the WIN roster.
- RSO travel must further their RSO’s mission statement.
- RSO travel must be educational based, not based on social/job/internship searching. The educational components of the travel must be brought back to campus in some capacity.
- RSOs may not receive academic credit for the travel.
- RSOs may not receive ASM travel grant funds for food or beverages.
- RSOs may not be the sole or primary participants of the travel.
- RSO travel cannot be directly supporting an elected official or campaign of a political candidate at the state, local, or national level.
- RSOs cannot be collecting donations or contributions, fundraising, or otherwise collecting revenue for or during the travel.
- RSO funding requests cannot exceed $3,000, or $500/person if 6 or less persons traveling.
- RSOs cannot spend requested funds prior to the workshop with the Financial Staff following the RSO’s hearing by the Grant Allocation Committee (GAC).
Travel Grant Award Categories
- Registration Fees: For UW-Madison RSO student members. Separate registration food costs cannot be covered by the ASM travel grant.
- Lodging: For UW-Madison RSO student members. Lodging cannot be booked through 3rd parties (hotels.com, etc..). There is a lodging maximum that ASM can pay when using travel grant funds, based on the UW lodging calculator.
- Transit Costs: For UW-Madison RSO student members. If you are applying for ground travel, please note that ground travel (fleet, rental car, or personal vehicle) requires the driver to be an authorized driver with UW Risk Management. RSOs cannot be supported for ground travel unless they are authorized. If you are applying for flights, please note all flights must be booked through FOX travel.
- Other: For the unique needs of a trip not covered in the above categories
- Completed grant applications must be submitted in full at least six weeks (42 days) before the travel. There are no exceptions.
- Our grants are heard on a first come first serve basis; we urge RSOs to apply even earlier than the 6-week deadline for this reason!
- The application requires detailed descriptions of your travel. Please give yourself plenty of time to fill out the application. If you wait until the last day to apply and run into issues or web errors, we may not be able to help you before the six-week application deadline.
- Please review the list of application questions for the travel grant before applying to make sure you have all the required information in hand before starting the application. To help expedite the process, we urge students to use the list of application questions to compose answers to the longer justification questions prior to initiating the application.
- RSO grant contacts must use a valid “wisc.edu” email address in the application and must enter all dates in the MM/DD/YYYY format.
- Once you hit the “submit” button at the end of Step 6, your grant application will be successfully submitted. After submission, the grant contacts will be contacted by the Grant Allocation Committee Chair with their hearing date. The Grant Allocation Committee Chair will invite the grant contacts to a hearing in the SAC where the application will be discussed and awarded/denied by the Grant Allocation Committee .
- The approximate date of your grant hearing can be checked here (not yet updated for the 2017 / 2018 grant season)
- Hearings for the upcoming 2017 / 2018 grant season will not begin until the first week of fall semester classes.
- A GAC award or denial notice will be sent to RSOs within 24 hours after their hearing date.
- RSOs who have been awarded funds will receive information on next steps in their award notice, including information regarding the required workshop with an ASM Financial Specialist.
- The required workshop with the ASM Financial Specialist must occur at least 3 days prior to your travel. Remember that ASM cannot pay for or reimburse any travel costs incurred before you have met with an ASM Financial Specialist
Grant Documents and Helpful Links
Ready to Apply?