ASM Open Fund Grant
The ASM Open Fund Grant provides funding for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) for routine operational expenses and recruitment of new members. The grant is designed to be an easier way for groups to obtain operational funding without having to go through the hearing process required of other ASM grants.
Due to campus meeting restrictions enacted to cope with the outbreak of COVID-19, the Open Fund Grant will be closed to new grants for the remainder of the academic year. Any current grant holders that still need to meet with the financial specialist must wait until after the UW-Madison tentative campus return date of April 10, 2020. This site will be updated as new information is received.
Current Open Fund Grant Groups
Eligibility: Remember to reregister your group with the Center of Leadership & Involvement (CfLI) before October 1st. Your org must be in compliance with CfLI's requirements in order to spend grant funds.
Contact the ASM Financial Specialist to schedule your group's mandatory grant workshop: email@example.com
ASM Open Fund Grant Applicants
Looking to apply for an ASM Open Fund Grant? Below are resources and information to get you started. Grant policies, procedures, and application guidelines are discussed in detail. To better your RSO’s chances of receiving a grant, be sure to read everything carefully.
Important: The applicant for the RSO must be a designated officer for the group as specified in registering with the Center for Leadership & Involvement (CfLI). Contact CfLI for more information: (608) 263-0365
All grant applicants must adhere to the ASM policies and Procedures. While summarized below, the ASM Policies and Procedures document that is linked above will provide more detail, especially if your RSO has specific needs.
Click on the tabs above to learn more about each step in the grant process.
- Printing: For operational and recruitment purposes. No printing may be used to advertise for events unless they are specific to recruitment, such as a group kick-off or the Student Org Fair. All printing must be done through StudentPrint and must contain the ASM Logo & Disclaimer.
- Office Supplies: Operational supplies required for the functioning of your group.
- RSO officers are the only members of an RSO who can apply for a grant. They will need to log in with their Net ID.
- RSOs can only apply for ONE Open Fund Grant per academic year.
- RSOs are not eligible to receive the Open Fund Grant if they currently have an ASM Operations Grant award.
- The award amount is the same for all grant recipients: $200.00 in funding with $150.00 allocated for printing and $50.00 allocated for office supplies.
- If the grant application is denied funds, your RSO will be informed by the ASM Financial Specialist as to the reason for denial.
- If the grant application is awarded funds, the grant contacts (one or both) are required to attend a grant workshop with the ASM Financial Staff. This workshop is required and provides crucial information to the RSO on how to appropriately spend the awarded grant funds.
- The grant workshops take place at the ASM offices: 4301 Student Activity Center (SAC), 333 East Campus Mall, Madison, WI 53715
- The grant workshops take between 45 minutes to an hour depending on the number of groups in attendance.
- The workshops go over grant use policy, procedures for spending grant funds, and additional funding resources available to your group.
The following forms may be useful to your group in managing your Open Fund Grant:
- Open Fund Contact Change Form – need to change a grant contact? This is the form to use – should only be filled out by an existing grant contact.
- StudentPrint Order Forms – choose a form based on your specific printing needs.
- ASM Grant Memo Form – an all purpose contact form that identifies your group and your special needs.
All remaining grant workshops for the spring semester will be held on an individual basis. Please indicate your group’s available times when emailing to set up a workshop.
You may contact the ASM Financial Specialist to schedule your preferred workshop: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not show up for a workshop without scheduling ahead of time – your group’s materials will not be prepared for you.
All grant workshops are held at the Student Activity Center, 333 East Campus Mall, Room 4301 unless otherwise indicated.
Questions on the Grant process?
Email the Grant Allocation Committee Chair and/or ASM Finance Staff