Timeline for Spring 2020 ASM Election
Election dates and times shall be determined at the discretion of the SEC, provided all dates are in accordance with the requirements laid out in the ASM Constitution.
Petitions for Referenda, Initiatives and/or Recalls – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, Petitions for Referenda, Initiatives, or Recalls must be submitted to the ASM Office before 12:00 noon CST on Thursday, February 6, 2020.
Candidate Declaration Forms – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, Candidate Declaration Forms must be submitted electronically to the SEC Chair before 12:00 noon CST on Friday, February 7, 2020.
Candidate Information Session – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, the Candidate Information Session shall be held at 6:00PM CST on Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at a location to be determined.
Ballot Published – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, the SEC shall post, in a public manner, the list of all candidates, referenda, initiatives, and recalls questions placed on the ASM ballot by 8:00AM CST on Wednesday, February 19, 2020.
Withdrawal of Ballot Items – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, candidates or sponsors who wish to do so, must notify the SEC Chair of their withdrawal before 12:00 noon CST on Wednesday, February 26, 2020.
Challenges to Ballot Items – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, challenges to any referenda, initiatives, and/or recalls must be submitted to the SEC by 5:00 PM CST on Monday, February 24, 2020.
Voting Period – For the Elections in the Spring of 2020, the voting period shall begin at 8:00AM CST on Monday, March 2, 2020, and shall end at 5:00PM CST on Wednesday, March 4, 2020.
About the Elections
Every student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is eligible to vote for Student Council Representatives for their school or college as well as members of the Student Services Finance Committee (SSFC). Students interested in running for a position can contact the Chair of the Student Election Commission for information on candidacy declaration forms.
Student Election Commission
The Student Election Commission (SEC) is a subcommittee of the Student Judiciary that plans and executes the election. It is comprised of a Chair and Vice-Chair from the Student Judiciary and a number of hired commissioners who work on many different aspects of the election ranging from design & advertising to dorm outreach. The SEC welcomes any student interested in improving student voter turnout!
Contact the SEC Chair: email@example.com
- In the fall, elections occur when there are vacancies on Student Council or the Student Services Finance Committee (SSFC) and when there is a referendum on the ballot.
- Student Council elections: Each Spring, students from different colleges run to be elected to the ASM Student Council. All thirty-three (33) council representatives are elected in the Spring: Professional (2), Graduate (7), Letters and Science (12), Human Ecology (1), Education (1), Business (2), Agricultural and Life Sciences (2), Engineering (3), Nursing and Pharmacy (1), and Special (2).
- SSFC elections: There are generally two to three openings on SSFC that are elected during the Spring.
Forms & Procedures
- Spring 2020 Election Rules
- Registered Student Organization (RSO) & Third Party Organization Candidate Advertising Permission Form
- Campaign Violation Complaint Form
- Response to Campaign Violation Complaint Form
- Student Election Commission Rules of Procedure
PAST ELECTION RESULTS: