ASM Event Grant
The ASM Event Grant provides funds for Registered Student Organization (RSO) events that are in line with the RSO’s mission. All events funded by the ASM event grant must occur on the UW-Madison campus and should be educational, free, and open to all UW-Madison students.
ASM Event Grant Applicants
Looking to apply for an ASM Event Grant? Below are resources and information to get you started. Grant policies, procedures, and application guidelines are discussed in detail. To better your RSO’s chances of receiving a grant, be sure to read everything carefully.
All grant applicants must adhere to the ASM policies and Procedures. While summarized below, the ASM Policies and Procedures document that is linked above will provide more detail, especially if your RSO has specific event needs.
Our FAQs grow every year, making them a valuable resource for RSOs. These are updated at least once every semester. Click above to see if there is a quick answer to your question!
The ASM event grant is a grant that supports Registered Student Organization (RSO) events during the academic year (fall and spring semester). The person(s) applying must be a current UW-Madison Student(s).
If interested, RSOs need to apply at least 6 weeks, or 42 full days, before their event (NOTE: the 6 week limit includes day 42). RSO officers are the only members of an RSO who can apply for a grant (more info on becoming an officer here). They will need to log in with their Net ID.
After applying, the RSO will need to attend an ASM Grant Allocation Committee (GAC) grant hearing regarding the submitted grant application. If the GAC approves the grant, the RSO would then need to attend a grant workshop with the ASM finance staff to go over all the logistics of using an ASM event grant before the RSO can use the awarded grant.
Click on the tabs above to learn more about each step in the grant process.
Only UW- Madison Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) in good standing with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) may apply for the ASM event grant. Individuals, departments, or other non-RSO entities seeking event support are ineligible to receive the ASM event grant.
- The RSO cannot be a GSSF group.
- Applicant must be a current UW Madison student.
- The ASM event grant supports events open to all UW-Madison students. Events funded by the ASM event grant cannot be open to the public without a UW-Madison department sponsor for the RSO event.
- RSOs cannot be collecting donations or contributions, fundraising, or otherwise collecting revenue before or during the event.
- RSO’s event cannot duplicate an event occurring in the same semester by a different RSO or provided by a University department or program
- RSO’s event must further the RSO’s mission statement. The ASM grant can only fund items that are pertinent to the mission of the RSO.
- RSO’s event must be educational based (not a social event).
- RSOs can only apply for two event grants per academic year, one per semester.
- ASM event grant can only fund an event up to three days long.
- Event participants may not receive academic credit for attending the event.
- Supplies purchased with the ASM event grant must be disposable.
- RSOs cannot use the event grant to fund legal services.
- RSOs cannot use the event grant to fund costumes or supplies to make costumes.
- Events funded by the ASM event grant cannot be directly supporting an elected official or campaign of a political candidate at the state, local, or national level.
- The ASM event grant cannot fund food or beverages, or items assoicated with food or beverages.
- The ASM event grant cannot fund a series of different events.
- ASM event grant funds cannot be used to purchase gifts or financial aid.
- ASM event grant funds cannot be used to purchase fireworks
- ASM event grant funds cannot be used to purchase decorations
- RSO event grant funding requests cannot exceed $10,500.
- RSOs cannot spend requested funds prior to the workshop with the Financial Staff following the RSO’s hearing and approval by the GAC.
The ASM Event grant can fund:
- Honoraria: No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive honoraria.
- Lodging: At a rate in line with the Wisconsin state maximum for hotels in the city of Madison. No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive lodging. Lodging cannot be booked through 3rd parties (hotels.com, etc..).
- Travel: For performers, speakers, or other individuals invited by the RSO to perform, entertain, or educate at the event. No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive travel funds. If you are applying for flights, please note all flights must be booked through FOX travel.
- Printing: For the event. No printing may be used to advertise for future events or activities put on by either the RSO or other organizations. All printing must be done through StudentPrint. All printing and advertising for the event must have the ASM Logo & Disclaimer on it (whether or not ASM is paying for the printing/advertising).
- Advertising: For the event. No advertising may be used to advertise for future events or activities put on by either the RSO or other organizations. All printing and advertising for the event must have the ASM Logo & Disclaimer on it (whether or not ASM is paying for the printing/advertising).
- Space and Equipment Rental: For the event. ASM cannot pay taxes. A list of appropriate UW space rental locations can be found here.
- Program Supplies: For the event. All program supplies must be disposable.
- Other: For the unique needs of an event not covered in the above categories.
Completed grant applications must be submitted in full at least six weeks (42 full days) before the event. It is important to note that the application does not let you apply on the 42nd day, as the 6 week limit includes day 42 – because of this, please make sure you apply well in advance of the deadline. There are no exceptions to this 6-week deadline. Grants are heard on a first come-first serve basis. We urge RSOs to apply more than 6 weeks in advance of their event so they are not being heard last minute.
Important notes on the application:
- RSO officers are the only members of an RSO who can apply for a grant (more info on becoming an officer here). They will need to log in with their Net ID.
- RSOs can only apply for TWO event grants per academic year, one per semester.
- There are tools in the grant application to help guide you. Use them! Read the intro notes and hover over the question marks in the application for helpful advice and policy reminders.
- Once an RSO grant is submitted, you cannot edit it. HOWEVER…
- You will always be able to access and view your application after submission. Whenever there are any changes to the status of your application (ex. “Awaiting review”, assignment of a hearing date, etc…) you will be able to see and track those changes online.
After your Event Grant Application is submitted, the Grant Allocation Committee (GAC) Chair will review the application and followup with any concerns.
- Once the application is accepted for review, the GAC Chair will email the grant contacts with their scheduled date to be heard by the committee. This email will also inform the RSO of what to expect at the hearing (and what to bring).
- Hearings occur weekly, beginning the second week of Fall classes.
- The 2018/19 Hearing Day: Tuesdays
The grant contacts will recieve notice of award or denial within 24 hours after their hearing.
- If the grant application was denied funds, your RSO will be informed by the GAC Chair as to why the GAC denied your application.
- If the grant application was awarded funds, the grant contacts (one or both) are required to attend a grant workshop with the ASM Financial Staff. This workshop is required and provides crucial information to the RSO on how to appropriately spend the awarded grant funds.
- If your grant was approved for an amount over $4,200, the grant application has to additionally be heard and approved by ASM Student Council. Your RSO does not attend this hearing, but it is important to know this will delay the final grant approval by ASM.
- If awarded funds, do not spend any money (including funds you hope to be reimbursed for) before attending the workshop with an ASM Financial Staff, as those funds spent will not be able to be reimbursed or paid by the ASM Event Grant.
- The grant workshops take place at the ASM offices: 4301 Student Activity Center (SAC), 333 East Campus Mall, Madison, WI 53715
- The grant workshops take between 30 min – 1 hour depending on the complex nature of the grant.
- The workshops go over grant use policy, procedures for spending grant funds, payment plans, and additional funding resources for your event.
ASM Event grant is closed for 2018/2019 Academic year
ASM Event Grant Recipients
If you have recieved an ASM Event Grant and already attended the workshop with the ASM Financial Staff, this next section is for you! Below are payment resources and grant forms to assist you in successfully using your ASM Event Grant.
If you are requesting honoraria for a performer/speaker, they will need to contract with UW-Madison before the grant wil be able to issue payment. Please click above for the contract and tax forms to be completed by your performer/speaker
Need something else covered that the ASM Event Grant cannot or did not fund? There are many other event grants for RSOs available within both the Division of Student Life and UW-Madison. Click the button to the right to learn more.
Event Grant Forms
The grant forms listed to the right are designed to help guide you through payment processes and to allow you to make changes to your grant budget if need be. Depending on your grant situation, you may need to use all the forms to the right, or only one (the survey is a grant requirement).
Grant Memo Form
Budget Transfer Form
30 Day Grant Extention Request Form
Event Grant Survey
The Event Grant survey must be filled out by one grant contact following your event. You have 30 days from the final day of your event to complete the survey. To access the survey, you will need to be signed into google docs with your wisc.edu email
Questions on the Grant process?
Email the Grant Allocation Committee Chair and/or ASM Finance Staff