Is your registered student organization interested in bringing or creating a unique experience on campus for other UW-Madison students to enjoy? Recognizing that Student Organizations play an important role in the education of UW-Madison students and that on-campus events enrich the campus community, ASM has established the Event Grant Fund. The Event Grant Fund shall be used to support on-campus events that are educational, informational, free and open to all students on campus.
**Hearings for 2017/2018 school year will be held on Wednesdays (not Tuesdays) at 6:30 pm.**
Event Grant Eligibility Criteria
- Only UW- Madison Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) in good standing with the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) may apply for the ASM event grant. Individuals, departments, or other non-RSO entities seeking event support are ineligible to receive the ASM event grant.
- The ASM event grant funds events open to all UW-Madison students. Events funded by the ASM event grant cannot be open to the public without a UW-Madison department sponsor for the RSO event.
- The ASM event grant cannot fund a series of events.
- RSOs can only apply for one event grant per semester.
- RSO’s event must further the RSO’s mission statement.
- RSO’s event must be educational based (not a social event).
- Event participants may not receive academic credit.
- Supplies purchased with the ASM event grant must not be reusable.
- RSOs cannot use the event grant to fund legal services.
- RSOs cannot use the event grant to fund costumes or supplies to make costumes.
- Events funded by the ASM event grant cannot be directly supporting an elected official or campaign of a political candidate at the state, local, or national level.
- RSOs cannot be collecting donations or contributions, fundraising, or otherwise collecting revenue for or during the event.
- ASM event grant funds cannot be used to purchase gifts or financial aid.
- ASM event grant funds cannot be used to purchase fireworks
- RSO event grant funding requests cannot exceed $11,000.
- RSOs cannot spend requested funds prior to the workshop with the Financial Staff following the RSO’s hearing by the GAC.
Event Grant Award Categories
- Honoraria: No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive honoraria.
- Lodging: At a rate in line with the Wisconsin state maximum for hotels in the city of Madison. No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive lodging. Lodging cannot be booked through 3rd parties (hotels.com, etc..).
- Travel: For performers, speakers, or other individuals invited by the RSO to perform, entertain, or educate at the event. No University of Wisconsin student or faculty member may receive travel funds. If you are applying for flights, please note all flights must be booked through FOX travel.
- Printing: For the event. No printing may be used to advertise for future events or activities put on by either the RSO or other organizations. All printing must be done through StudentPrint. All printing and advertising for the event must have the ASM Logo & Disclaimer on it (whether or not ASM is paying for the printing/advertising). Funding will be revoked if both items are not displayed.
- Advertising: For the event. No advertising may be used to advertise for future events or activities put on by either the RSO or other organizations. All printing and advertising for the event must have the ASM Logo & Disclaimer on it (whether or not ASM is paying for the printing/advertising). Funding will be revoked if both items are not displayed.
- Space and Equipment Rental: For the event. ASM cannot pay taxes.
- Program Supplies: For the event. All program supplies must be disposable and non-reusable.
- Other: For the unique needs of an event not covered in the above categories.
- Completed grant applications must be submitted in full at least six weeks (42 days) before the event. There are no exceptions.
- Our grants are heard on a first come first serve basis; we urge RSOs to apply even earlier than the 6-week deadline for this reason!
- The application requires detailed descriptions of your event. Please give yourself plenty of time to fill out the application. If you wait until the last day to apply and run into issues or web errors, we may not be able to help you before the six-week application deadline.
- Please review the list of application questions for the event grant before applying to make sure you have all the required information in hand before starting the application. To help expedite the process, we urge students to use the list of application questions to compose answers to the longer justification questions prior to initiating the application.
- RSO grant contacts must use a valid “wisc.edu” email address in the application and must enter all dates in the MM/DD/YYYY format.
- Once you hit the “submit” button at the end of Step 6, your grant application will be successfully submitted. After submission, the grant contacts will be contacted by the Grant Allocation Committee Chair with their hearing date. The Grant Allocation Committee Chair will invite the grant contacts to a hearing in the SAC where the application will be discussed and awarded/denied by the Grant Allocation Committee .
- The approximate date of your grant hearing can be checked here
- Weekly hearings will be held Wednesdays at 6:30 pm. The first hearing of the fall semester will occur on Wednesday, September 6th, 2017.
- An award or denial notice will be sent to RSOs who received a hearing within 24 hours of their hearing date. If your RSO was awarded funds by the GAC that exceed $4,500, the grant must get final approval at the next Student Council meeting.
- RSOs who have been awarded funds will receive information on next steps in their award notice, including information regarding the required workshop with an ASM Financial Specialist.
- The required workshop with the ASM Financial Specialist must occur at least 3 days prior to your event. Remember that ASM cannot pay for or reimburse any event costs incurred before you have meet with an ASM Financial Specialist.
Grant Documents and Helpful Links
Ready To Apply?