Each year, ASM students adopt a budget to carry out the mission of their student association at UW–Madison.
1) Coordinating Council implements a procedure for reviewing and drafting a new budget, led by the Student Council Chair and Vice Chair.
2) Coordinating Council drafts an internal budget and submits it to Student Council no later than Nov. 1.
3) Student Council debates and adopts a budget with a majority vote. The adopted budget is sent to SSFC for review.
4) The Student Council Chair presents the budget to SSFC. SSFC may amend the budget with a majority vote. The SSFC adopted version of the budget is sent back to Student Council for review.
5) Student Council may amend the SSFC version of the budget with a two-thirds vote.
6) Student Council must adopt a final version of the budget with a majority vote by Feb. 21.
ASM Internal Budget Components
Here’s what’s included in the Fiscal Year (FY) 20 budget, which runs from July 1, 2019 – June 30 2020:
Support for Students and Organizations
Wages and fringe costs for three professional financial staff, Shared Governance Project Assistant, ASM office hourly employees, and food pantry student employees. $266,584
Supply and service costs for the Student Organization Fair co-sponsorship; Grant Allocation Committee event, operation, travel, and open fund grants for student organizations; funding for disability accommodations at student activities; hosting state and national student coalition meetings; the Tenant Resource Center contract; and the Rape Crisis Center contract. $560,000
Leadership Development Programming
Wages and fringe costs for ASM Director and two staff advisors. $269,032
Wages for Student Council leadership, committee chairs, assistant directors and inclusion ambassadors. $109,902
Food pantry and general ASM programming. $2,000
Orientations and trainings on and off campus for interns, student council, grant allocation committee, ASM staff, coordinating council, and students in general. $9,200
Travel to state and national events such as meetings of the Board of Regents, USSA, ABTS, and UW System Student Reps. $15,000
Event costs associated with the campus-wide ASM student leadership conference, the ASM recruitment drives, and ASM volunteer appreciation. $3,000
Supplies & Services
Printing, postage, office supplies, the campus technology fee, telephone lines, the copy machine contract, and website hosting. $47,456
Advertising for ASM outreach and recruitment and advertising for open staff positions. $350
Computer equipment maintenance and replacement. $4,000
General carry-over. $4,500
Total ASM internal budget for 2019-2020: $1,287,099
If you’d like more detailed information on the ASM budget, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.