Each year, ASM students adopt a budget to carry out the mission of their student association at UW–Madison.
- Coordinating Council implements a procedure for reviewing and drafting a new budget, led by the Student Council Chair and Vice Chair.
- Coordinating Council drafts an internal budget and submits it to Student Council no later than Nov. 1.
- Student Council debates and adopts a budget with a majority vote. The adopted budget is sent to SSFC for review.
- The Student Council Chair presents the budget to SSFC. SSFC may amend the budget with a majority vote. The SSFC adopted version of the budget is sent back to Student Council for review.
- Student Council may amend the SSFC version of the budget with a two-thirds vote.
- Student Council must adopt a final version of the budget with a majority vote by Feb. 21.
ASM Internal Budget Components
Here’s what’s included in the Fiscal Year (FY) 19 budget, which runs from July 1, 2018 – June 30 2019:
Support for Students and Organizations
Wages and fringe costs for three professional financial staff, Shared Governance Project Assistant, ASM office hourly employees, and food pantry student employees. $260,211
Supply and service costs for the Student Organization Fair co-sponsorship; Grant Allocation Committee event, operation, travel, and open fund grants for student organizations; funding for disability accommodations at student activities; hosting state and national student coalition meetings; the Tenant Resource Center contract; and the Rape Crisis Center contract. $669,500
Leadership Development Programming
Wages and fringe costs for ASM Director and two staff advisors. $264,839
Wages for Student Council leadership, committee chairs, assistant directors and inclusion ambassadors. $117,790
Food pantry and general ASM programming. $2,550
Orientations and trainings on and off campus for interns, student council, grant allocation committee, ASM staff, coordinating council, and students in general. $8,200
Travel to state and national events such as meetings of the Board of Regents, USSA, ABTS, and UW System Student Reps. $15,000
Event costs associated with the campus-wide ASM student leadership conference, the ASM recruitment drives, and ASM volunteer appreciation. $4,500
Supplies & Services
Printing, postage, office supplies, the campus technology fee, telephone lines, the copy machine contract, and website hosting. $35,900
Advertising for ASM outreach and recruitment and advertising for open staff positions. $500
Computer equipment maintenance and replacement. $4,000
General carry-over. $4,500
Total ASM internal budget for 2018-2019: $1,387,490
If you’d like more detailed information on the ASM budget, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.