Each year, ASM students adopt a budget to carry out the mission of their student association at UW–Madison.
- Coordinating Council implements a procedure for reviewing and drafting a new budget, led by the Student Council Chair and Vice Chair.
- Coordinating Council drafts an internal budget and submits it to Student Council no later than Nov. 1.
- Student Council debates and adopts a budget with a majority vote. The adopted budget is sent to SSFC for review.
- The Student Council Chair presents the budget to SSFC. SSFC may amend the budget with a majority vote. The SSFC adopted version of the budget is sent back to Student Council for review.
- Student Council may amend the SSFC version of the budget with a two-thirds vote.
- Student Council must adopt a final version of the budget with a majority vote by Feb. 21.
ASM Internal Budget Components
Here’s what’s included in the Fiscal Year (FY) 18 budget, which runs from July 1, 2017 – June 30 2018:
Support for Students and Organizations (66% of total budget)
Wages and fringe costs for four professional financial staff, ASM office hourly employees, and food pantry student employees. $239,101
Supply and service costs for the Student Organization Fair co-sponsorship; Grant Allocation Committee event, operation, travel, and open fund grants for student organizations; funding for disability accommodations at student activities; hosting state and national student coalition meetings; the Tenant Resource Center contract; and the Rape Crisis Center contract. $677,000
Leadership Development Programming (22% of total budget)
Wages and fringe costs for two advisors, student hourly press office assistants, and a student vote organizer. $150,535
Stipends for most committee chairs, student council officers, the outreach director, the press office director, and the equity and inclusion liaisons. $134,425
Food pantry; voter registration, education and GOTV; and general ASM programming. $3,200
Travel to state and national events such as meetings of the Board of Regents, USSA, ABTS, and UW System Student Reps. $10,000
Orientations and trainings on and off campus for interns, student council, grant allocation committee, ASM staff, coordinating council, and students in general. $6,800
Event costs associated with the campus-wide ASM student leadership conference, the ASM recruitment drives, and ASM volunteer appreciation. $4,000
Administrative Functions (12% of total budget)
Wages and fringe costs for the ASM Assistant Dean/Director who manages the staff. $106,172
Printing, postage, office supplies, the campus technology fee, telephone lines, the copy machine contract, and website hosting. $42,650
Advertising for ASM outreach and recruitment and advertising for open staff positions. $1,700
Computer equipment maintenance and replacement. $4,000
Total ASM internal budget for 2017 – 2018: $1,388,948
If you’d like more detailed information on the ASM budget, please contact us: email@example.com.